San Pietro in Gessate

Church of San Pietro in Gessate

May 12, 2014 / by / 0 Comment
The Church of San Pietro in Gessate was built by the monks of the Humiliates Order between 1447 and 1475, near an old 13th century convent dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. Formerly located in open countryside, it now stands in the centre of the city in front of Milan’s imposing Palazzo di Giustizia. Commissioned by Florentine banker Pigello Portinari, the Church of San Pietro in Gessate is thought to have been built to a design either by Guiniforte or Pierantonio Solari. Severely damaged by bombs during the Second World War, it still retains countless examples of late 15th century Lombard art  in its left side chapels, among which, one of its most noteworthy is the Grifi Chapel, frescoed with the impressive histories of St. Ambrogio by artists  Buttinone and Zenale. Its façade is the result of restoration work performed in 1912 by Diego Brioschi who nevertheless preserved its original 17th century entrance.Open
from Sep 15th to Jun 30th: Mon-Fri 7.30am-6pm, Sat 8.30am-noon/4.30pm-8pm, Sun and Hol 8.30am-1pm/4.30pm-8pm; 
from Jul 1st to Sep 14th: Mon-Fri 8am-noon, Sat-Sun and Hol 8.30am-noon/5pm-8pm. 

Piazza San Pietro in Gessate, 12
M1 San Babila
T:+39.02.54107424


Our weather forecast is from WP Wunderground